MHSAA announces reclassification for area schools
The Mississippi High School Activities Association released its reclassification grid for the next two school years, and the new list includes a division for East Union football.
After playing as an independent in 2012, the Urchins will join Region 1-2A for football, which is the division it plays in for other sports. East Union is in this division with Baldwyn, Hatley, Mantachie, New Site and Walnut. Urchins head coach Scott Duley said his program is excited to make the next step in building a football tradition at East Union.
“We’re very happy with the way division worked out for us, and we have some teams we hope to be competitive with over the next few years,” he said. “The boys are excited; I’m excited, and the rest of our schedule will look the same as we had this last year.”
Duley noted that teams like Potts Camp will remain on the team’s schedule as part of the out of division schedule, and he is looking forward to building rivalries in football as well as playing for a chance at postseason.
“With high school kids, they all want to know if they can go to the playoffs. I’ve had to tell them no for the last two seasons, but now I can tell them that we have a chance this year, if we perform well,” Duley said. “This gives us an identity as a team and hopefully the opportunity to form some division rivals and begin to build football traditions at East Union.”
In other classifications, New Albany will remain in Region 2-4A, which loses North Pontotoc and Lewisburg and adds Ripley and Byhalia in those spots. The Vikings dropped to 3A, and the Patriots moved up to 5A. Lafayette, Rosa Fort and Senatobia also remain in the division.
In 1A, Hickory Flat rejoins West Union, Ingomar and Myrtle in Region 2, which also includes Ashland and Blue Mountain. The Rebels are currently playing in 2A.
For a complete list of all of the reclassifications, go to www.misshsaa.com
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 31, 2016
- Settlemires named to first-ever All-SSAC Faculty Team May 31, 2016
- No reason to be bored here this summer May 31, 2016
- Looks like summer is here May 31, 2016
- County compares favorably to neighbors in several categories May 31, 2016
- Spray park at BNA Bank Park opens for the summer May 31, 2016
- Martintown Road bridge gets first part of new deck May 31, 2016
- Union County jobless rate continue to be among lowest in state May 31, 2016
- Free concert series begins Saturday May 31, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...