Bulldogs defeat Senatobia on homecoming
The Bulldogs were looking for a big win, and came through with a 14-7 victory over Senatobia to open division play.
Entering the game at 2-4 and on a three-game losing streak, New Albany put up a big defensive effort to get the win.
“We’ve challenged those guys each week to play New Albany defense the way they know how to play, and they put forth a great effort tonight,” Bulldogs head coach Ron Price said. “We gave up only one touchdown, and we put them in some tough positions, and they bent a little bit, but they made the big plays when they needed to.”
Each team had a turnover in the first quarter, but Spencer Day put the Bulldogs on the board late in the quarter on his one-yard run. Tevin Wooten would later tie the game on a three-yard run in the second, and the game held that same score at the half.
A pass interference call on Senatobia early in the fourth helped set up New Albany’s second touchdown; a 10-yard run by Boston Newsome. The Warriors had the ball late in the game, but turned it over on downs after New Albany’s defense sacked Senatobia quarterback Tevin Wink.
“We knew we needed to come out and have a big win, and I think we got it,” Bulldog senior Devonte Bradley said. “A lot of credit tonight goes to Cedric Buford.”
“It’s great to go out and get this win,” added senior Brady Barnes. “Our record may not show it, but we’ve been getting better each week, and we’re glad to have gone out and snapped this losing streak and win in our first division game.”
The Bulldogs improve to 3-4 (1-0) and will now prepare for its next division opponent, North Ponotoc, who defeated Rosa Fort, 15-14.
“It feels good to get a win. I’m very discouraged with some of the things we did tonight, but after some of the losses we’ve had this year, a win is a win,” Price said. “I would rather have an ugly win than a pretty loss, because our kids have been battling all year and have made the plays. We got a big homecoming win, and I’m proud of our kids for staying focused this week.”
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...