Gladys Davis Obituary
Gladys Hale Davis, 95, of New Albany, passed away Aug. 31, 2012 at Dogwood Plantation Assisted Living in New Albany. She was born in Lafayette County, Mississippi March 26, 1917 to Q.D. and Janie Hale. She graduated from W.P. Daniel High School in 1934. She was married to John M. Davis who preceded her in death in 1988.
She was a member of Hillcrest Baptist Church for many years. She was an active member of the J.O.Y. Sunday School class and W.M.U. She was an active member of A.A.R.P. and the Business Women’s Club. She served as Chief Clerk of the Selective Service Board during World War II. She retired from the Union County School System after 24 years at the Central Office at the Courthouse. She spearheaded the beginning of the New Haven Center for Special Needs Adults and served as a volunteer there for 49 years. She was honored in July 2009 with a party attended by many thankful participants and their families where she received a plaque and a proclamation from New Albany Mayor Tim Kent.
She is survived by her son Johnny Davis (Carolyn) and grandson Joe M. Davis (Jennie) of New Albany, her granddaughter Dawn Davis Carson (Jeff) of Hernando, and two great-grandchildren Katie Davis and John MacGregor Davis of New Albany.
She was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, one son Jimmy Davis, and two brothers, Q.D. Hale, Jr. and Harold Hale.
Visitation was from 4 to 7 p.m., Sunday, at United Funeral Service. The funeral service was held at 10 a.m. Monday, Sept. 3, 2012, at United Funeral Service with Whit Lewis officiating. Interment was in New Albany Cemetery.
Pallbearers were Bob Wages, Keith Richey, Marshall Robbins, Ed Humphreys, Dewey Davidson, and Frank Madden. Honorary pallbearers were Herbert Morgan, Enoch Purvis, and Charles Coker.
The family wishes to express their thanks to the staff of Dogwood Plantation and Sanctuary Home Hospice for their loving care. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be sent to New Haven Center or Hillcrest Baptist Church Building Fund.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2