UCDA to host barbecue contest during RiverFest
Legend has it that barbecue was invented in Union County, so having New Albany be the setting for the first annual Smoke on the Water Barbecue Contest is a way to help keep this history and tradition alive.
This contest is an amateur barbecue cooking contest for people to enter, as long as the captain of the team is a Union County resident. There is no entry fee that will be charged.
The guidelines for the contest will go by the Kansas City Barbecue Society, but this is not a sanctioned barbecue cooking event.
The categories will be poultry, which includes chicken and turkey; ribs, wet or dry; pork, and beef.
Every team will get a full rule sheet.
“If the contestant has a Serv Safe certification, the team can sell their food to the public. If the team doesn’t have a Serv Safe certification, they can invite their family and friends to eat at their booth,” said Phil Nanney, organizer of the event.
The contest will take place at the Park Along the River and will begin at dusk Friday night, Sept. 21, 2012.
“Water is available in two different locations at the park, but you have to bring your own container. Electricity is limited at the park too. Overnight camping is available,” said Nanney.
The winners in each category will receive a monetary award as well as a trophy. The overall winner will receive a bigger trophy and a larger monetary award.
Judging will begin at 11 a.m. on Saturday morning, Sept. 22, 2012 during Tallahatchie RiverFest. Poultry will be judged at 11 a.m., ribs will be judged at 11:20 a.m., pork will be judged at 11:40 a.m., and beef will be judged at noon.
Winners will be announced shortly thereafter the judging on the RiverFest stage.
“This contest is a nice addition to Tallahatchie RiverFest and is a great opportunity for people to prove their cooking skills. There are a lot of people in this town that love to BBQ and grill out – this will give them a chance to showcase their food,” said Nanney.
For more information, to get the entry rules, or to sign up to be a team, call the Union County Development Association office at 662-534-4354.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse May 17, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- The Playhouse May 19, 2016
- River Players to present comedy-murder mystery next week May 19, 2016
- Myrtle Church to host Dave Ramsey financial series May 19, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- City wants residents to be aware of yard sale, sign regulations May 19, 2016
- Farmers’ Market opens June 4 May 19, 2016
- Downtown area getting new parking lot May 19, 2016
- More graduation ceremonies Friday night, Saturday May 19, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...