Rates show a contrast
Once in a while we need to pause and remind ourselves of the quality work done at our New Albany and Union County schools to prepare our students for the life ahead.
One measure of that is graduation, or completion, rate for the schools. The 2011 figures have been released by the state and show that both districts are doing well at keeping our children in school.
New Albany’s graduation rate of 91.7 percent of students who began as freshmen in 2007 is among the highest in northeast Mississippi. Union County’s rate of 87.4 percent is not far behind.
The completion rate, which includes both graduates and those special students who receive completion certificates or GEDs, is even better. New Albany’s rate of 95 percent is tied for first in the state. Union County again is close behind with 94.5 percent.
Are these rates important? Yes. Are they always absolutely accurate? No.
But what is important about them is the contrast between our schools and the districts in Tupelo and Lee County. The Tupelo city schools graduation rate is 74.6 percent and its completion rate 80.4 percent. Lee County’s graduation rate is only 67.4 percent and the completion rate is 74.5 percent.
Who’s getting a better return on the investment? It’s pretty clear to us.
We are proud of our public schools in New Albany and Union County.
We understand the value of a good education, and we are willing to support strong administrators and teachers with our tax dollars.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...