Gene Smith Obituary
Malcolm E. “Gene” Smith, 85, of New Albany, died Wednesday, Aug. 15, 2012 at his residence. He was born Feb. 5, 1927 in Union County to the late Wiley Smith and Velma Bishop Smith. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army having served during World War 2. He was a retired brick mason, and employee of the City of New Albany Gas Department. He was a member of the Pleasant Hill Baptist Church.
Services were at 2 p.m., held Thursday, Aug. 16, 2012 at the United Funeral Service Chapel with the Rev. Terry Rodgers, Rev. Randy Rinehart, and Rev. Lou Zemek officiating. Interment was in the Glenfield Memorial Park. United Funeral Service was in charge of arrangements.
He is survived by his wife Betty Chism Smith of New Albany, three step daughters Brenda Richey, Betty Potts, and Carol Rodgers, two sons Scotty Smith and Mike Smith, three step-sons Eddie Medlin, Don Medlin, and Kenny Potts, and four grandchildren, a host of step-grandchilren and great-grandchildren that he loved dearly.
He was preceded in death by his parents, a step-son Jimmy Dale Medlin, and a brother Curtis Clinton Smith.
Pallbearers were Larry Chism, Sammie Chism, Richard Chism, Dock Chism, David “Buck” Hale, Jason Buskirk, and David Richey. Honorary pallbearers will be Houston Richey, Tommy Wilhite, Wade Chism, James Tollison, Billy Bevill, Don Staten, Van Staten, and Norman Hill.
Visitation was from noon to 2 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home.
In honor of Mr. Smith, United Funeral Service, Inc. will fly the flag of the United States Army at the funeral home during visitation and service.
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Chism wins UBBI scholarship May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...