Giving to charity
The United Way has kicked off its 2012 campaign across the seven counties, including Union, that are part of the United Way of Northeast Mississippi.
The goal this year is $2,300,000, slightly more than the goal last year, but not an unreachable number if everyone does his or her part in support of our largest charity drive of the year.
What is most important locally is how much money is contributed by Union Countians because that determines how much money is returned to benefit worthy causes here.
This year we had $69,330 distributed to agencies that benefit Union County.
The decision on which agencies get money and how much is made by a group of 15 Union County volunteers.
The largest benefactors this year were the Good Samaritan Food Pantry with $16,000, Boys and Girls Club of New Albany with $15,000, the New Haven Center with $7,500 and Lighthouse with $5,000. Twenty-five other agencies shared the rest.
Giving in our county is still below where it logically should be for a county of our size.
We still do not have enough of our businesses and industries conducting campaigns.
The United Way system for charitable giving is built largely around deducting small amounts from the paychecks of employees who want to do their part in helping those in need in the community. Getting companies to participate in the effort is the key to increased support.
The United Way supports many worthwhile causes in our community. We hope you will do your part and give what you can.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse May 17, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- The Playhouse May 19, 2016
- River Players to present comedy-murder mystery next week May 19, 2016
- Myrtle Church to host Dave Ramsey financial series May 19, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- City wants residents to be aware of yard sale, sign regulations May 19, 2016
- Farmers’ Market opens June 4 May 19, 2016
- Downtown area getting new parking lot May 19, 2016
- More graduation ceremonies Friday night, Saturday May 19, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...