Bulldogs to kick off season by honoring Amanda Price
Anticipation and emotion are high for New Albany’s season opener tonight. Taking on Ripley in the school’s “Maroon Madness game,” the event will have a different look as the team honors the late Amanda Price.
The traditional maroon will be put aside for the evening, and the New Albany football boosters have sold purple shirts and are encouraging fans to sport that color for the game. On the back of the shirt is a tribute to Price, “This one’s for you AP.”
“This is our first game without Amanda, who was a huge fan and loved the game,” New Albany athletic director Shane Sanderson said. “We hope to see everyone taking part in purple madness and flood out the stadium in honor of someone who was so special to us.”
Along with the t-shirts, the team will have a purple ribbon on the back of their helmets, and the school will have that same ribbon painted on the field. Going with its theme “Standing Strong Together,” this season’s football program features a picture of Head Coach Ron Price with the seniors, showing unity by interlocking arms at Kitchens’ Field. At the bottom of the cover, designed by Lance Moore, is a purple ribbon with Amanda Price’s initials.
The Ripley game is also tagged as WTVA Friday Night Fever’s game of the week.
As part of the program’s 25th anniversary, the station will have various live shots from the school throughout the day, beginning with its morning show.
“It’s wonderful what they’re doing, and we’re thrilled to have been chosen as the first school they do this at,” Sanderson said.
Each week, the station’s morning show will broadcast from the home team’s school, as well as a weather segment for the noon newscast, a live shot for the 5 p.m. newscast and interviews with the coaches for both teams will take place during the 6 p.m. newscast.
This evening’s game against Ripley is set for a 7:30 p.m. kickoff at Kitchens’ Field.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...