Lee Roy Tate Obituary
Lee Roy Tate
Lee Roy Tate, 89, of Randolph, Va., passed away on Thursday, Aug. 2, 2012. Roy was born at home in Union County to Lee Roy and Willie Gertrude Martin Tate. He graduated Myrtle High School in 1941, a class of 9. He was enlisted as a private into the Army Dec. 28, 1942 at Camp Shelby and served 18 months as a drill sergeant at Fort Lee, Va., later deployed to Guam, Saipan and New Caledonia being honorably discharged in 1945 having attained the rank of first sergeant. While serving at Ft. Lee, Va., he married Blanche Marie Thomas of Richmond, Va. on Oct. 16, 1943 – a marriage lasting 68 years.
After discharge and returning to his wife and 11 month old son the family lived in Richmond, Va., moving later to Chesterfield County. While later residing in Powhatan County. Va., he retired from Unijax Paper Company, Richmond, Va., in 1984 after 30 years to spend his remaining years involved in building projects, landscaping, mowing grass, visiting with and enjoying family, friends and neighbors at their homes in Powhatan and lastly at Randolph Va.
“I am grateful to my parents, sweet wife, family and all the many people who have treated me kindly. I have been fortunate all my life.”
Roy was predeceased by his wife, parents, his sisters Hattie Lula Heaton, Jewel Lee Kitchens, Annie Mae Luckett, and Kittie Mae Childers.
He is survived by his son Roy Thomas Tate and wife Marilyn of Fuquay Varina, N.C.; grandchildren Josh, Andrew, Sara and Nicolas; great-grandchildren, Naomi Grace, Everett and Winston; son, Robert Wayne Tate and wife Jeannie of Ashland, Va.; grandchildren, Holly Collins, Matthew and Anna; great- grandchild, Lynlee Collins; sister, Peggy Ann Bush of Memphis, Tenn.
A memorial service will be held at 3 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 9, 2012, at Drakes Branch Baptist Church of Drakes Branch, Va. Arrangements will be handled by Brooks Funeral Home, of South Boston, Va.
Visitation will be at 2 p.m., Thursday.
A graveside service will be held at 11 a.m., Saturday, Aug. 11, 2012, at the Old Glenfield Cemetery in New Albany. United Funeral Service is in charge of those arrangements.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...