Lee Roy Tate Obituary
Lee Roy Tate
Lee Roy Tate, 89, of Randolph, Va., passed away on Thursday, Aug. 2, 2012. Roy was born at home in Union County to Lee Roy and Willie Gertrude Martin Tate. He graduated Myrtle High School in 1941, a class of 9. He was enlisted as a private into the Army Dec. 28, 1942 at Camp Shelby and served 18 months as a drill sergeant at Fort Lee, Va., later deployed to Guam, Saipan and New Caledonia being honorably discharged in 1945 having attained the rank of first sergeant. While serving at Ft. Lee, Va., he married Blanche Marie Thomas of Richmond, Va. on Oct. 16, 1943 – a marriage lasting 68 years.
After discharge and returning to his wife and 11 month old son the family lived in Richmond, Va., moving later to Chesterfield County. While later residing in Powhatan County. Va., he retired from Unijax Paper Company, Richmond, Va., in 1984 after 30 years to spend his remaining years involved in building projects, landscaping, mowing grass, visiting with and enjoying family, friends and neighbors at their homes in Powhatan and lastly at Randolph Va.
“I am grateful to my parents, sweet wife, family and all the many people who have treated me kindly. I have been fortunate all my life.”
Roy was predeceased by his wife, parents, his sisters Hattie Lula Heaton, Jewel Lee Kitchens, Annie Mae Luckett, and Kittie Mae Childers.
He is survived by his son Roy Thomas Tate and wife Marilyn of Fuquay Varina, N.C.; grandchildren Josh, Andrew, Sara and Nicolas; great-grandchildren, Naomi Grace, Everett and Winston; son, Robert Wayne Tate and wife Jeannie of Ashland, Va.; grandchildren, Holly Collins, Matthew and Anna; great- grandchild, Lynlee Collins; sister, Peggy Ann Bush of Memphis, Tenn.
A memorial service will be held at 3 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 9, 2012, at Drakes Branch Baptist Church of Drakes Branch, Va. Arrangements will be handled by Brooks Funeral Home, of South Boston, Va.
Visitation will be at 2 p.m., Thursday.
A graveside service will be held at 11 a.m., Saturday, Aug. 11, 2012, at the Old Glenfield Cemetery in New Albany. United Funeral Service is in charge of those arrangements.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2