Blue Springs planning
The Town of Blue Springs has a big task ahead in preparing for development expected in the area because of the new Toyota manufacturing plant.
An urban planning consultant told the Board of Aldermen this week that it is important to move ahead on planning, zoning and building codes.
Mike Slaughter of the Oxford-based Slaughter and Associates, said three things need to be done soon: Appoint a planning commission, adopt the international building code and consider property maintenance codes.
We agree with Slaughter’s thoughts. Blue Springs, with its recent annexation, has grown significantly in both size and population.
The board has taken the right first step in beginning a search for candidates for a planning commission.
It is important to prevent willy-nilly unplanned and unregulated development near the plant that would result in the area becoming an eyesore. Problems created by such development are expensive to fix after they occur.
We know that it seems like a lot to accomplish in a short time in a town the size of Blue Springs, but it is important to the town’s future to make the right choices now.
The same can be said for the Union County Board of Supervisors. Strong zoning and land use regulations need to be put in place in the county, too.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...