Beginning of a new school year
We’re a few days into the new school year, as hard as that is to believe. This weekend will mark the beginning of several sports, including slow pitch softball and football.
My school year began last weekend, as I traveled to Pontotoc to watch the New Albany volleyball in action in a preseason tournament hosted by the Lady Warriors. What I saw were two entertaining matches, one of which the Lady Bulldogs won, earning the school’s first ever win in the sport.
I’m glad I was on hand to witness history, and the girls added to that on Monday, defeating Tishomingo County on the road in three sets. Needless to say, that program is off to a great start, and I look forward to watching them more throughout the fall.
Next week, the Gazette will release the Fall Sports Preview. Like last year, all of the fall sports will be featured, with the addition of East Union football and New Albany volleyball. Also, for those of you interested, the Union County band is also represented, as well as the East Union cheerleaders.
I’m proud to have the opportunity to do this publication once again, as it’s a great keepsake for all of the athletes. I appreciate the support from all of the coaches and both school districts in making this possible, because it’s not the easiest thing to put together during the summer.
Now that I’m back to writing a regular column, I want to thank everyone who helped out during the summer, giving me stories and information regarding the Union County basketball tournament. I had a lot of fun researching that this summer, and it’s thanks to so many of you who helped.
There’s plenty going on this weekend, with New Albany football hosting Kossuth tonight and Myrtle holding its annual slow pitch preseason tournament tomorrow. While I’ve enjoyed my time off this summer, I’m ready to be busy again, and am excited for the potential I see from each different school this year.
The Fall Sports Preview will be in next Wednesday’s Gazette, so be sure to pick up a copy of that. I look forward to seeing everyone again at the games!
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...