Qualifying open for school board
Residents of Union County’s 3rd and 4th districts who wish to run for the position of school board member for the Union County School District must qualify beginning next Wednesday.
According to Phyllis Stanford, the county’s Circuit Clerk, the qualifying period for these two offices runs from Wednesday, Aug. 8 to Friday, Sept. 7.
In order to qualify, Stanford said he or she must be a qualified elector of the district in which election is sought and must have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
Stanford said there is no fee for candidates, but a petition containing signatures of 50 qualified electors’ of the district.
Currently, Buddy Dixon holds the school board seat for the 3rd district and Johnny Rakestraw holds the seat for the 4th district.
These two races will be among other local, state and national races to be contested in the Nov. 6 general election.
In Union County, citizens will also select county election commissioners for all five districts.
Incumbents Graham Spencer, Lanell Kennon Hudson, T. Michael Beam and Wayne Wilhite have qualified to run. Frances Dunlap, currently the election commissioner for the 3rd district, will be retiring at the end of this term.
Two other residents, Bill Azlin and Ralph Hanskiewicz, have qualified to run against Hudson for the 2nd district spot.
Voters will also go to the polls to fill the Class 1 U.S. Senate seat, as well as the District 1 U.S. House of Representatives position.
The most-watched race will be the election of the next U.S. President.
For more information about these and other races, call the circuit clerk’s office at 662-534-1910.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...