Qualifying open for school board
Residents of Union County’s 3rd and 4th districts who wish to run for the position of school board member for the Union County School District must qualify beginning next Wednesday.
According to Phyllis Stanford, the county’s Circuit Clerk, the qualifying period for these two offices runs from Wednesday, Aug. 8 to Friday, Sept. 7.
In order to qualify, Stanford said he or she must be a qualified elector of the district in which election is sought and must have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
Stanford said there is no fee for candidates, but a petition containing signatures of 50 qualified electors’ of the district.
Currently, Buddy Dixon holds the school board seat for the 3rd district and Johnny Rakestraw holds the seat for the 4th district.
These two races will be among other local, state and national races to be contested in the Nov. 6 general election.
In Union County, citizens will also select county election commissioners for all five districts.
Incumbents Graham Spencer, Lanell Kennon Hudson, T. Michael Beam and Wayne Wilhite have qualified to run. Frances Dunlap, currently the election commissioner for the 3rd district, will be retiring at the end of this term.
Two other residents, Bill Azlin and Ralph Hanskiewicz, have qualified to run against Hudson for the 2nd district spot.
Voters will also go to the polls to fill the Class 1 U.S. Senate seat, as well as the District 1 U.S. House of Representatives position.
The most-watched race will be the election of the next U.S. President.
For more information about these and other races, call the circuit clerk’s office at 662-534-1910.
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Chism wins UBBI scholarship May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...