Hurricane News, August 1, 2012
The countryside is abloom with fields of Black-eyed Susans and the area soybean crops look better with the recent showers. I saw the first pink lady lily blooming last week, so it is approximately six weeks until fall. Back-to-school traffic will be hectic with the construction on Highway 15 and at the Highway 346 intersection.
Clay Russell Wade of Calhoun City attended the Ole Miss baseball camp recently in Oxford. Clay enjoyed his nightly visits with his grandparents, Cap and Lou Gaston, who live on Highway 336 before the Lafayette County line. His older sister, Karlie Susan Wade, celebrated her 18th birthday on July 18.
Jay Knight, of Buchanan. preached at the men's prayer breakfast on Saturday, July 28. Jeff Shettles, also of Buchanan, attended with the young preacher. He is a descendant of the late Lonnie and Addie (Graham)Williams of Sand Springs.
Nelda Morgan and Gerladine Burchfield, of Hernando, were at Hurricane Baptist on Sunday, July 29. They were in the community to visit Greg, Emilee and Marilyn McClure at Esperanza. At the evening services, guests were Brian, Hope and Samuel Biggs of Chattanooga, Tenn., who were traveling to Broken Arrow, Okla., near the Cherokee Nation Headquarters. They enjoyed the night at our home, and Graden prepared a country breakfast to send these friends on their journey.
Aden Hooker enjoyed a day at the water park with her family on Friday, as she will celebrate her 8th birthday on July 31. Colt, Brooke, Aden, Braxton and Harper Hooker, and James and Brantlee Moore vacationed last week in Orange Beach, Ala. Pop and Googoo treated her to Coffey's on Saturday night, and a day of shopping in New Albany before dinner.
Cade, Megan, Sophie, Ella Kate, and Maggie Hooker, and Elaine Hutchison, of Mooreville. enjoyed a week camping in Destin, Fla., on the beach.
Get well wishes to Kevin Pardee, Bilbo Russell, Rayburn Williams, Charlotte Hooker, Bob Bailey, Lorye Logan, and Linda Foster.
Birthday wishes to Jerri Conlee, Karl Moss, Jayme Stillers, and Karen McLaughlin
Ellie Beth Stewart, the daughter of Don Kelly and Haley S. Stewart, celebrated her first birthday on July 27, with a pool party at the home of her paternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Don Stewart, of Pontotoc. Attending from Hurricane were her maternal grandparents, Steve and Betty Hale Stubblefield. Kipton Breedlove (2) and his mom, Stephanie, of Booneville, also attended. Betty enjoyed meeting A.M. and Shelia S. Norwood there.
Betty Stubblefield hosted her family for Sunday dinner in honor of Steve Stubblefield's birthday, on July 24. Those attending were David, Stephanie, and Kipton Breedlove, of Booneville; Adam and Brandi Stubblefield, Don Kelly, Haley and Ellie Beth Stewart, of Pontotoc; and Margaret Hale. Ellie Beth Stewart also celebrated with a cake for her first birthday with her grandfather, Steve.
Anniversary wishes to Jack and June Dorrough Ezell for Aug. 5, as well as to Graden and Susan Norwood Hooker for the same date as the couples celebrate fortysomethings.
Shelia Owen and Susan Hooker took advantage of the tax break shopping and enjoyed lunch at O'Charley's. Shelia was treated, as she had taken her time this summer to teach the older granddaughters with piano lessons. I enjoyed the trio as I listened to their chatter and remembered the early basics and techniques gleaned from our teachers from the past. Time, what key was best to present hymns and solos in, and hand placements without the ruler reminding their fingers were commented on.
The produce sent to Loraine, Texas, survived the 748 mile journey via the Graham brothers: Steve and Roger. They stopped with Donald and Doris Graham, and with Shirley Graham. Both families called at sundown on Saturday, July 28, to check on our ghost-hunting.
Congratulations to Bernard and Kay Richardson Graham, of Sand Springs, who celebrated their golden anniversary in Ecru, on July 21, as guests of Kay's mother's family, the Robbins'. What a nice surprise for the couple!
Congratulations to Jimmy and Janice Gray Russel who were honored with a celebration for their golden anniversary on July 29 at Thaxton Baptist Church. Jimmy is a graduate of Hurricane High School.
Sympathy is extended to the family of Beverly Williams (66). of Pearl. who was the sister of Jack Ezell. Jack and June Ezell, Brian Ezell, Michelle Poe and Jayme Stillers, of Oxford, attended the funeral at Truitt Baptist Church in Pearl, on July 25.
Sympathy is extended to the family of Mary B. Todd, of Ecru. She was the wife of Floyd Todd and helped him with his photography for many years, and I thought of all the photos made for our old school at Hurricane and also for the families in the neighborhood. They were a team, and they enjoyed each other at work and at home.
Jack Hall, of Friendship, celebrated his 13th birthday last week.
Thanks for the cards from all the relatives from out of state and local as they thanked the reunion committee for the good day on July 21, and a special hello to California and to Ohio readers.
About Chris Elkins
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer