State’s tax-free shopping holiday set for next Friday
By Josh Presley
Just in time for back-to-school shopping, Mississippi’s state tax holiday will begin next week.
The holiday officially begins at 12:01 a.m. Friday, July 27 and ends at 12 a.m. Saturday, July 28.
According to the Mississippi Holiday passed in2009, during this day sales tax is not due on the sale of articles of clothing or footwear if the sales price of a single item is less than $100.
The sales tax holiday does not apply to items other than clothing or footwear.
Footwear does not include skis, roller skates, swim fins, or similar items. Accessories such as jewelry, handbags, luggage, umbrellas, wallets, watches, backpacks, and briefcases also do not qualify and will remain taxed. Rentals also will remain taxed.
The sales tax holiday only applies to individual items priced at less than $100. If the total purchased is more than $100, it will still remain untaxed as long as no individual item purchased costs more than $100.
In a press release, State Director of the National Federation of Independent Business Ron Aldridge said that the sales tax holiday is meant to help small businesses.
“It gets people fired up and in the mood to shop, and that’s exactly what our economy needs right now,” Aldridge said. “The more we can increase consumer spending at our small businesses, the more jobs we save, and the faster our economy will recover.”
A full list of eligible and non-eligible items can be found at http://www.dor.ms.gov/docs/SalesTaxHoliday2012.pdf.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...