2012 All-Sports Awards announced
Local schools were ranked among the best in the state in the annual All-Sports Awards, calculated and released by the Clarion Ledger in Jackson.
In 2011, New Albany and West Union were named the best in their respective classes, but finished fourth and 10th respectively after the 2011-2012 school year.
East Union had the highest rank among the Union County schools, finishing second in 2A with 170.5 points. Madison St. Joseph was the top ranked school in that class, finishing with 248 points. East Union won state in girls’ cross country, but also received high marks for powerlifting, boys’ cross country and girls’ bowling.
The Bulldogs were behind Pontotoc, Corinth and Lafayette in 4A. NAHS earned high marks for golf, boys’ cross country and tennis, which won the state championship in May. With four state titles, Pontotoc was first with 341 points; New Albany finished with 226.5.
Myrtle was the highest finisher for Union County in 1A, placing fifth behind St. Aloysius, Sacred Heart, Cathedral and Greenville St. Joe. Myrtle had 175 points overall, winning state titles in girls’ track and cross country.
West Union finished 10th with 121.5 points overall. The school had its highest marks for bowling and cross country.
Ingomar made the top 20, finishing 16th with 89 points. Ingomar’s highest mark came in golf, which provided 24 points.
In the top five schools overall, Tupelo was named the top school with 437.5 points, followed by Madison Central (431), Starkville (397), Oxford (373.5), Clinton (341) and Pontotoc (341).
The complete results from the All-Sports awards can be found on the Clarion Ledger’s website, www.clarionledger.com.
About Chris Elkins
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 4, 2016
- Being a mother is the best May 4, 2016
- Graduation rates looking up May 4, 2016
- Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- Deputies receive training in emergency control of trauma bleeding May 4, 2016
- Plenty to do this weekend May 4, 2016
- Herman J. Maxey May 4, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...