Responding to citizens concerns, the Union County Board of Supervisors has adopted an abandoned and dangerous animals ordinance. It is expected to go into effect in about 30 days.
We think the board has done the right thing in an effort to get a handle on the growing population of unwanted, or in some cases dangerous, animals in the county.
Under the plan approved, a county sheriff’s deputy will be designated as the animal control officer and will be authorized to enter any parcel of land to investigate complaints or impound any dog found in violation of the ordinance.
The animals would be brought to a temporary holding area at the jail and then taken to the Humane Society in Tupelo. Meanwhile, if the animal control officer believes the animal has an owner, he will contact the owner
Owners would pay a $25 fee, as well as a $7 a day boarding fee and any veterinary costs to retrieve an animal.
Dogs that act in a threatening manner or bite someone can be considered dangerous, as well as any dog being kept for dog fighting.
Dogs who attack someone who is trespassing would not fall into the category.
Animals who are provoked, tormented or abused would not be considered dangerous. Dogs protecting or defending their owner from attack also would not be considered a dangerous animal.
This is a decent ordinance to deal with part of a problem. The other part, the proliferation of unwanted animals, is harder and is caused by owners who do not spay or neuter their animals.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...