Relay for Life event
Tonight the American Cancer Society will hold its 14th annual Relay for Life fundraising event at BNA Bank Park.
The event gets under way at 5 p.m. to live music, followed by the opening ceremony at 7 p.m. with the presentation of the color guard, a ribbon cutting, recognizing the cancer survivors in attendance and then the walk for which the event is named.
About 9 p.m. there will be a luminary ceremony and Lisa Mitchell, honorary chairperson, will speak. Mitchell, former principal of New Albany Middle School and now an employee at the school district’s central office, was an obvious choice to honor at honorary chairperson.
Relay for Life co-chair Rick Lemmons said about 25 teams are participating in the fundraising walk this year, and Lemmons hopes to raise more than $90,000 for cancer research.
“Most of us have been touched by cancer in some form or fashion, either having a friend or family member with cancer,” he said.
No admission fee is charged and there will be plenty of food available to purchase from vendors. This year’s event will have an ‘80s theme, with a lip synch competition.
People come and go during the event, which runs from dusk until dawn carrying out the American Cancer Society’s theme of “Cancer Never Sleeps.”
The Relay for Life is an important event in our community each year and we hope you will plan to participate.
Topping the $89,000 raised last year is a reachable goal.
Cancer research is the key to a better – and longer – life for so many people in our community.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...