West Union coach honored with all-star selection
West Union baseball has remained consistent in its playoff runs over the last four seasons, and that is largely credited to the coach, Ashley Russell. For his efforts, Russell was named as a coach for the Crossroads All-Star game next weekend in Pearl. But if you ask the coach, he’ll tell you it’s not so much about him, but rather his kids at West Union.
“Any time a coach is selected to coach an all-star game or receives any award, it’s because of the players he coaches in his program,” Ashley said. “Without good players, I wouldn’t have the opportunity to have any awards or recognition. I’m very proud of what we’ve done, and the fact that I’ve been chosen to coach in this all-star game is an overall representation of this program; not just me.”
Ashley, along with Tyler Rogers of the 1A state champion Nanih Wayia, will coach the 1A/2A/3A North All-Stars, which boasts several of the area’s top players. While none are on the roster from Union County, Russell still looks forward to working with others.
“I’m just excited to coach these guys. We have several that have signed four-year scholarships, and most everyone is going somewhere, whether it be junior college or wherever,” he said.
As far as his selection, Russell said he’s not sure of the nomination process, but regardless, he’s ready to be back on the field next week.
“It’s a great honor. To look at the guys that have coached in previous years and to feel like maybe I’ve fallen into that category as one of those guys is really an honor,” he said. “It’s also an honor to coach some of the best players in the state of Mississippi.”
The 1A/2A/3A All-Star game will take place at 6 p.m. on Saturday, June 2 at Trustmark Park.
The first game of the day will feature the 4A/5A/6A All-Stars. Locally, New Albany’s Riley Alef will be a part of that game, which is slated for a 1 p.m. start at Trustmark Park.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2