Downtown ramp closed until 2013
In an effort to curb the number of accidents occuring on a six-mile section of Highway 78 currently under construction in New Albany, the Mississippi Department of Transportation has closed one entrance ramp to the highway.
MDOT officials announced Monday that the northwest entrance ramp from Carter Avenue onto Highway 78 will be closed until March 2013.
This section of the highway is currently under reconstruction from Highway 30 West to Highway 15. Hill Brothers Construction Company, Inc., the contractor for the project, has been hired by MDOT to begin repairing the bridges within this six-mile section to bring them up to interstate standards.
The northwest entrance ramp closing was highly recommended by New Albany Police Department officials, who said that, due to the construction, the line-of-sight for drivers entering highway from this location is nearly zero.
The closing comes just three days after a severe accident occurred in which a minivan carrying seven people collided with a dump truck that turned onto the highway median just east of the Highway 15 exit.
Mississippi Highway Patrol officials said the family in the van, including a woman and six children, were sent to local hospitals to be treated for their wounds.
Two of the children were airlifted to Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital in Memphis, Tenn. with severe injuries.
Two other severe accidents, including one in which a Missouri woman was killed, have also occurred within the six-mile stretch of highway.
The Highway Patrol and New Albany police both patrol the area.
Police officials recommended motorists avoid using the downtown entrances and exits to Highway 78 all together.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...