Elder, Tables receive the Urchin Award
East Union capped its athletic banquet festivities by honoring two members of the Class of 2012 as the recipients of the Urchin Award.
Rachel Elder and Chris Tables have each posted successful careers while at the school and are thankful for the chances they have had playing sports.
“It feels great to receive this award. It makes me grateful given my situation when I came here,” Tables said. “I didn’t have an opportunity to play sports at Tupelo, but when I came here, I was surrounded by people who care, and I’m thankful for them.”
The duo received multiple awards during Monday night’s banquet, as Elder was named the defensive most valuable player and received the hustle and attitude award in slow pitch, and was named the most valuable player for fast pitch. Tables was named the co-offensive most valuable player for basketball.
Both noted their fondest memories of playing at East Union and look forward to going to college; Elder at Itawamba Community College, where she will play softball, and Tables at Southern Miss, where he will study athletic training.
“Beating Ingomar and making north half two years in a row would have to be my best memory,” Tables said.
Added Elder, “Winning the Union County Tournament multiple times and just having the chance to play for a wonderful team. I’ve loved being a part of this school.”
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...