J.B. Mattox, Jr. obituary
James Boyd Mattox, Jr., 87, died Saturday, March 17, 2012, at his residence after a brief illness.
A lifelong resident of Myrtle, he was born Nov. 24, 1924, to James Boyd and Thelma Barnett Mattox. A graduate of Myrtle High School, he was a life long cattleman who learned the trade from his father at an early age. He co-owned the New Albany Stockyards from 1952 to 1991. A former Rotarion, he served on the board of directors at the Bank of New Albany for 29 years and the Union County Hospital for several years. He was a member of Myrtle United Methodist Church and had the distinction of being the longest-serving member, joining the church in 1938. He enjoyed spending time with his family and friends, cattle farming, and the outdoors.
Services were at 11 a.m. Monday, March 19, 2012, at Myrtle Methodist Church with Rev. Earl McAnally, Rev. Jeff Lawrence, and Rev. Dennis Fink officiating.
Survivors include his wife of 66 years, Jean Howell Mattox of Myrtle; two children, Brenda Mattox Koon, special son-in-law Larry Koon, and James Michael Mattox (Debbie) all of Myrtle; a special niece Ginger Morris Hodges of Birmingham, Ala.; eight grandchildren, Jo Fairy Riley (Jon) of Iuka, Mattox Koon (Kim) of Pontotoc, Jeana Koon of Myrtle, Virginia Metts (Caleb) of Tupelo, James Michael Mattox II of Hattiesburg, Dr. Luke Koon (Emily) of Hernando, Tess Carnell (Brett) of Ripley, and Emma Woods (David) of Red Banks; seven great-grandchildren, Jim and Margaret Claire Riley, Dream and Caroline Carnell, Mattie Sims Koon, Hattie Metts, and Anna Beth Gandy.
He was preceded in death by his parents, his sister Fairy Mae Mattox, his brother William David Mattox, and his great-grandson Jacob Howell Koon.
Pallbearers were Mattox Koon, James Michael Mattox II, Dr. Luke Koon, Jon Riley, Caleb Metts, and David Woods. Honorary pallbearers will be members of the Joy Sunday School Class.
Visitation was from 4 to 8 p.m. Sunday at United Funeral Services.
The body lay in state from 10 a.m. until the service on Monday at the church.
Memorials may be made to the Joy Sunday school class, c/o Myrtle United Methodist Church, 1033 Church St., Myrtle, MS 38650.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...