Urchins advance to play Hatley
East Union coach Chris Basil best described his team’s 3-2 win over Calhoun City in the playoffs on Saturday as surviving, and the Urchins now advance to the north quarterfinals in 2A.
“I think we were over confident after Friday’s win, and we had a chance to put this away, but we had to survive to get through it,” Basil said. “We played a good team, and they did well on Saturday to step up. That’s a credit to their team as well as their coaches.”
The Urchins traveled to Calhoun City on Friday, defeating the Wildcats in five innings, 14-0 behind three hits and three RBI from Trey Barkley.
Cody Dillard, Alex Boland, Tray Davis and D.J. Armstrong also had multiple hits in the win, while Barkley had the win on the mound, pitching four innings, allowing four hits with two strikeouts.
Playing at home on Saturday, the Urchins trailed early, 2-0, but quickly answered in the bottom of the first, scoring three, and holding on for the win.
Cody Dillard had 10 strikeouts and gave up five hits and four walks, earning the win on the mound.
Next for East Union is this weekend’s quarterfinal series against division foe Hatley. The Tigers swept the regular season series, and Basil described his team’s opponent as a complete and quality team.
“Obviously, we’re going to go back and look over the things that cost us those ball games, like the 11 base runners that reached either by errors or walks or hit batters,” Basil said.
“They are a solid, older team that have played together for three years now. They had no errors in the two games we played against them, and they’re a quality team. We’ll have to play extremely well to beat them.”
The 2A quarterfinal series will begin at 6:30 p.m. on Friday at Hatley, and East Union will host game two beginning at 1 p.m. on Saturday. If necessary game three will be played at 6:30 p.m. on Monday at Hatley.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...