NAHS tennis wins fifth district title
New Albany tennis picked up its fifth consecutive division tournament this year, going undefeated in district play. Having only lost to Oxford this season, the Bulldogs opened the postseason, competing in its district match at Oxford last Thursday and opening the team playoffs against Houston last Saturday.
In the district match at Oxford, five groups advanced to the state tournament as individuals. The boys doubles team of Cam Clark and Thomas Mills defeated Lafayette (6-4, 6-3) to earn the top seed. Also earning top seeds were Mark Robbins and Savannah Horgan, who each defeated Lewisburg in the singles championships. Robbins won his match (7-6, 6-4), while Horgan won on the girls’ side (6-3, 4-6, 6-2).
Going to state as the number two seeds are the girls’ doubles group of Molly Morris and Elleigh Hall, who defeated teammates Olivia Dunnam and Hannah Anderson (6-4, 5-7, 6-1) to advance. The mixed doubles team of Josh Creekmore and Maegan Trexler fell to Lafayette in the championship (6-0, 6-1), but will advance as the number two seed.
The state tournament for individuals will be held in Jackson on May 7-8.
In the first round of the team playoffs, the Bulldogs defeated Houston, 7-0, to advance to the second round.
Robbins defeated Chase Aldridge (6-1, 6-0), Horgan defeated Charlsi Allen (6-0, 6-0), Clark and Mills defeated Everett Dardy and Walt Harrington (6-4, 6-3), Christopher and Christian Scott defeated Lane Barrdon and Ezra Blissard (6-4, 6-3), Morris and Hall defeated Nikki Baird and Makayla Pullen (6-3, 6-2), Dunnam and Anderson won in default over Whitney George and Paige Griffin and Creekmore and Trexler defeated Holly Powell and Dylan Moore (6-0, 6-1).
New Albany will travel for the second round of the team playoffs this Friday, April 27, taking on Corinth. A win over the Warriors would give New Albany a chance to host next week’s north half tournament.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2