Falcons clinch division with win at WU
Ingomar had a solid game plan for Friday night’s divisional showdown at West Union. That plan, however, was not to pitch Tyler Dowdy the entire game. The junior, coming off of an injury, ended up pitching the complete game, finishing with 13 strikeouts, leading the Falcons to a 6-2 win.
“We had to bite the bullet and decided to see how long he could go,” Ingomar coach Andy Wilbanks said. “He did a good job, and we’re trying to build that pitch count and stamina up. He had a heck of a game.”
Dowdy allowed two hits for the Eagles in the first inning, but held West Union without another hit until the fifth. Meanwhile, Ingomar’s offense posted three runs off four hits in the third off of RBI hits by Stephen Laird, Mason Maxey and Austin Sanders.
West Union made it a 3-2 game in the sixth, placing runners on second and third with two outs. Chase Bogue drove in the runs off his double, but Ingomar answered in the seventh, scoring three runs off hits by Josh Thompson, Joseph Broom and Sanders.
“It’s always a dogfight with us. They’re going to have their good innings, so it’s all about who has the most good innings,” Wilbanks said. “We created some cushion, and that allowed for Dowdy to go right at them in the bottom of the seventh and be successful.”
Laird, Sanders and Brady Cox finished with two hits each for Ingomar, while Zak Jumper and Drew Garrett had two hits each for West Union.
The win clinches the division title for the Falcons with remaining division games against Coldwater and H.W. Byers scheduled for this week. A first place finish will give Ingomar a first round bye in the playoffs.
“We have two left, so we want to run the table and go undefeated in division,” Wilbanks said. “We’ll come out next week and play Coldwater and Byers, and hopefully be ready for the playoffs.”
Ingomar is scheduled to play at East Union on Monday.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...