Improving Highway 15
The Union County Board of Supervisors has asked the state to use $40 million to improve state Highway 15 between New Albany and Pontotoc, instead of widening state Highway 9 between Blue Springs and Highway 348.
At its meeting Monday, the board urged the legislature, the Mississippi Development Authority and the state Department of Transportation to make the change.
The board said that Highway 348 is structurally inadequate to handle the increase in traffic that would be generated by a widened Highway 9.
Some opposition to the widening has surfaced in the area. Toyota Manufacturing Mississippi, which has its plant at Blue Springs, also has publicly stated that it has not requested the Highway 9 improvements north of Blue Springs.
We agree with those opposed to the widening of Highway 9. It seems to us that U. S. 78 (Interstate 22) and U.S. 45 can adequately handle any traffic between the Toyota plant and any parts suppliers north of Tupelo.
Meanwhile, Highway 15 is extremely busy between New Albany and Pontotoc. Widening it to four lanes would serve the 4,000 manufacturing jobs (including Ashley Furniture) along the road.
It also would provide residents of Pontotoc with easier access to U.S. 78, and to the flourishing shopping areas in New Albany. It’s a win-win situation for both communities.
We think the state should agree to shift the money to a much more useful purpose as requested by the county Board of Supervisors.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer