Lady Hawks pick up second win
Myrtle evened its record at Oxford on Friday, using a personnel change for the Lady Chargers to its advantage.
Down 2-1 in the fifth, the Lady Hawks scored five runs off four hits after Oxford switched catchers due to injury. After the change, Myrtle capitalized off several wild pitches and passed balls behind the plate.
“We already knew going in that they have a ninth grade catcher, so we were going to try and exploit that and have our base runners steal,” coach Marty Cook said. “When she went down, that opened up more.”
Aspriona Gilbert opened the inning with a leadoff single, scoring later on a double by Brianna Brassell. Emily Cook reached on an error and scored on a passed ball, and Alie Bishop and Kelsey Freeman brought in runs off a double and error, respectively.
Oxford added its final run in the fifth and Myrtle added one more off a single by Bishop, picking up the 7-3 win.
“The girls did a good job tonight of doing things that I asked them to do and that last inning on defense, and Kiana Judon made some great plays,” Cook said. “Keely Chunn made some great plays as well, and Alie Bishop at first made great pick ups. We tell them all year long that our first baseman will make you look like a superstar, and ours did great.”
“They have a good little pitcher, so hitting tonight, we got the timely hits we needed. Scoring the five runs in that inning, I think, deflated them and picked us up a little bit.”
Brassell, Judon and Bishop finished with multiple hits for Myrtle (2-2), which picked up its second win after defeating Hickory Flat, 16-2, on March 2.
Myrtle has the week off for spring break and will next play on Monday, March 19, at Blue Mountain.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2