Stokes V. Hamblin obituary
Stokes V. Hamblin, 88, of New Albany, died Wednesday, March 7, 2012 at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo.
He was born June 18, 1923 in Guntown to the late Benjamin Franklin Hamblin and Frances Lowella Corder Hamblin. He was a veteran of World War 2 having served as a paratrooper with the U.S. Army’s 513th Infantry. He was the owner/operator of Highland Upholstery, and an employee of Futorian Manufactoring. He also worked as a “door greeter” at Wal-Mart in New Albany. He was a member of the American Legion, and the Hillcrest Baptist Church.
Services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, March 9, 2012 at the Hillcrest Baptist Church with the Rev. Matthew Reed and the Rev. Whit Lewis officiating. Interment will be in the Glenfield Memorial Park. United Funeral Service is in charge of arrangements.
He is survived by two daughters, Linda McClure and Ann Reed (Joe), both of New Albany; three grandchildren, Rose Peak (Gary), Shane Frazier (Melissa) and Matthew Reed (Jennifer); six great-grandchildren, Jonathan, Christopher, and Cierra Peak, Micah and Jobe Reed and Liam Frazier.
He was preceded in death by his wife of 65 years, Myrtis Johnson Hamblin, a sister, Lanie Hamblin Garrison and a brother Billy Hamblin.
Pallbearers will be the members of his Sunday School Class.
Visitation was from 5 to 9 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home. The body will lie in state at the church from 1 to 2 p.m., Friday.
Memorials may be made to the Craig Foley Scholarship Fund, or the Hillcrest Baptist Church Building Fund.
In honor of Mr. Hamblin’s service to his country, United Funeral Service will fly the U.S. Army flag during his visitation and service.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...