Stokes V. Hamblin obituary
Stokes V. Hamblin, 88, of New Albany, died Wednesday, March 7, 2012 at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo.
He was born June 18, 1923 in Guntown to the late Benjamin Franklin Hamblin and Frances Lowella Corder Hamblin. He was a veteran of World War 2 having served as a paratrooper with the U.S. Army’s 513th Infantry. He was the owner/operator of Highland Upholstery, and an employee of Futorian Manufactoring. He also worked as a “door greeter” at Wal-Mart in New Albany. He was a member of the American Legion, and the Hillcrest Baptist Church.
Services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, March 9, 2012 at the Hillcrest Baptist Church with the Rev. Matthew Reed and the Rev. Whit Lewis officiating. Interment will be in the Glenfield Memorial Park. United Funeral Service is in charge of arrangements.
He is survived by two daughters, Linda McClure and Ann Reed (Joe), both of New Albany; three grandchildren, Rose Peak (Gary), Shane Frazier (Melissa) and Matthew Reed (Jennifer); six great-grandchildren, Jonathan, Christopher, and Cierra Peak, Micah and Jobe Reed and Liam Frazier.
He was preceded in death by his wife of 65 years, Myrtis Johnson Hamblin, a sister, Lanie Hamblin Garrison and a brother Billy Hamblin.
Pallbearers will be the members of his Sunday School Class.
Visitation was from 5 to 9 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home. The body will lie in state at the church from 1 to 2 p.m., Friday.
Memorials may be made to the Craig Foley Scholarship Fund, or the Hillcrest Baptist Church Building Fund.
In honor of Mr. Hamblin’s service to his country, United Funeral Service will fly the U.S. Army flag during his visitation and service.
About Chris Elkins
- Going to the ‘Ship’ May 18, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...