Community embracing this weekend’s race
On Saturday, more than 1,000 people will gather at New Albany Elementary to honor the life of Amanda Price. This is something I’ve written about several times since her passing last December, and on the eve of the 5K named after her, I want to do so once more, not only to reiterate some information, but also to show gratitude to the people who have worked to put this together.
Some interesting facts I’ve learned about this race: the Amanda Price Memorial 5K will be one of the largest races ever held in Mississippi, second only to The Watermelon Classic in Jackson, which normally holds around 1,600 annually. Also, there are 76 sponsors, as well as close to 1,300 runners for the 5K, and registration will go on today and tomorrow morning with the race closing with 1,500 runners.
I wrote earlier this week about parking and some tips for anyone in town who is participating. Since it looks like we’re going to have some rain leading up to race day, the shuttle service at the New Albany Fairgrounds is in place, and I would encourage everyone to try and use that or park at one of the businesses close to the school. Let’s try to keep parking at the school for anyone who’s coming from out of town, and of course, be patient throughout the morning, as I’m sure there will be a good amount of traffic.
The remainder of the information is in this issue, so be sure to look over that.
I, personally, want to thank everyone who has taken their time to help with this event and make it possible. The community involvement has been tremendous, and I’m very much looking forward to participating on Saturday.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...