Myrtle holds on for emotional victory
On a night that was dedicated to their fallen teammate, Myrtle seemed to be on its way to a convincing victory over Thrasher. After multiple miscues and errors, the Hawks held on for the 13-10 win on Tuesday.
“We had a lot of mistakes. This game is our fifth day in a row to be on the field. We didn’t get on the field until late last week and haven’t taken enough ground balls,” coach Robert Gordon said. “We had a lot of fielding mistakes, throwing mistakes, just things we haven’t been able to do live.”
Ahead 3-1 in the second, Anthony Lipsey gave Myrtle some distance, hitting a three-run shot, and later made it 8-1 off a two-run triple. Taking advantage of Thrasher’s mistakes, the Hawks built an 11-1 lead going into the fourth.
Behind two hits and five Myrtle errors, Thrasher worked its way back into the game, only down 11-8 heading into the bottom half of the fourth.
Thrasher would get as close as 12-10 in the sixth, but the Hawks added an insurance run in the bottom half of the inning and held on for the win.
“We had a few clutch hits, and we put pressure on their defense,” Gordon said. “The first guy throwing for them is a good pitcher, and he did a good job for them. For us, that being the first time to see that, I’m very proud of the effort.”
“We were fortunate to win this ball game. We made a few plays to seal the win at the end, but we did not play very good defense.”
The Hawks will play this season for David Moody, who was killed in a car wreck last fall. The emotional night began with the team dedicating and hanging a flag in the outfield.
“That’s just something we decided, that we’re going to dedicate every game we play, and hopefully we’ll play with a lot of heart,” Gordon said. “Obviously, tonight, our emotions were there and we knew it would be like that. His presence is very much missed.”
Myrtle will play host to Ripley on Saturday.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...