Elder selected to all-star game
This year’s lone senior for the Lady Urchins opens her final season of high school fast pitch earning a high honor in a selection to an all-star game this summer.
Rachel Elder has served as one of the primary leaders for East Union since joining the team in the seventh grade. The catcher will exhibit her skills at the Mississippi Association of Coaches All-Star game at Jones Community College this June.
“For the whole team and school, to be recognized as not only one of the top catchers, but best players in the state of Mississippi, and to see how she’s grown and matured since she started playing in seventh grade, has been phenomenal,” Lady Urchin coach Brad Brown said. “She has one of the best attitudes we have on this team, and we’re fortunate to have her.”
Elder had one hit against Ingomar in last weekend’s East Union Classic, which opened the 2012 season. The Lady Urchins picked up two wins, 6-0 versus Houlka and 7-2 against the Lady Falcons.
“It was really surprising because I didn’t think we would do that,” Elder said of Saturday’s performance. “We’ve only had three or four really good practices coming into this weekend, and we came out and did this, so I’m proud of our effort.”
Elder is excited for the opportunity to play in the all-star tournament this summer with the state’s best players.
“It feels really good because I get to represent my team and to be the one selected among so many good athletes in the state,” she said.
Focusing now on her final season at East Union, Elder hopes to see her team work through its early part of the season in preparation for division play, where the Lady Urchins will face several tough opponents, including Hatley and Baldwyn.
“We’re going to have some ups and downs, but my hope is that we’ll use all of these early games to help better prepare us for division play.”
Elder and the Lady Urchins will play Pine Grove and Ingomar this weekend. The 2012 MAC All-Star game will take place June 8-9 at Jones Community College in Ellisville, MS.
About Chris Elkins
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 4, 2016
- Being a mother is the best May 4, 2016
- Graduation rates looking up May 4, 2016
- Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- Deputies receive training in emergency control of trauma bleeding May 4, 2016
- Plenty to do this weekend May 4, 2016
- Herman J. Maxey May 4, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...