Charter schools opposed
Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves, along with Senate Education Chairman, Sen. Gray Tollison, have recommended a bill, SB 2401, that would take local ad valorem taxes from one district to fund a charter school in another district. It is unimaginable that the our elected representatives would pass a law to fund charter schools in one county with tax dollars from another.
Also, the bill would fund virtual charter schools with local ad valorem taxes being taken from towns like New Albany, Oxford, and Pontotoc and sent to California, Colorado and New York. Local funds should not be used for charter schools, especially in another county or state.
Tate Reeves needs to be careful who he listens to. Forest Thigpen, the person who has been pushing charter schools for years, is funded by home-school advocates, a group that makes up less than one percent of Mississippi’s population.
If folks with low performing public schools want charter schools, let them have them. But those of us with good public schools don’t want them – and we don’t want our local tax dollars going to pay for them.
Catering to less than one percent of voters is a bad strategy. Keep charter schools out of our good school districts!
Lorie Grisham Wade
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2