Lady Hawks back on track in north half
Myrtle got back on track after two losses in last week’s division tournament, easily moving on to north half with a 77-50 win at Tremont on Monday.
“We had a bad week last week, but our goal is to win a state championship,” coach Chris Greer said. “I told these girls, in order to do that, we’ve just got to take care of business, one game at a time.”
Behind 18 first quarter points from Halle Knowles, the Lady Hawks went on a 19-0 run to lead 29-6 after the opening frame. With Aspriona Gilbert scoring 13 of her 26 points in the second, Myrtle pulled away to advance to the north half tournament, which the school will host later this week.
Knowles finished with a game-high 38 points, followed by Gilbert’s 26 points, while Tori Melson led Tremont with 12 points, followed by 10 from Kim Ford.
“First game we’ve played in a while. Halle Knowles was like a different player, just driving, penetrating and taking good shots,” Greer said.
The Lady Hawks dropped two games in the Divison 2-1A tournament last week to H.W. Byers and Ashland to take the fourth seed into Monday. Greer knows the competition will only get tougher for his team, but is grateful they will face the difficult slate at home.
“We have them at Myrtle, and that’s all we can ask for,” he said. “I hope it’s a big advantage and that we have a great crowd on hand to support us.”
Also from the Division 2-1A tournament, Ingomar wrapped up the third seed, beating Myrtle, 66-49, last Friday. The Falcons will travel to West Oktibbeha on Tuesday, while Myrtle will play at Houlka.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...