Cummings signs with BMC baseball
Northeast Mississippi Community College right-handed pitcher Beau Cummings (Myrtle) has agreed to continue his baseball career after signing a grant-in-aid with Blue Mountain College.
Cummings, a 6-4, 198-pound pitcher, made it official on Tuesday, February 7 inside the media room on the second floor of the Haney Union on the Northeast Booneville campus.
During his first year with the Tigers, Cummings posted a 3-6 record on the mound but drew a hard-luck decisions in a trio of close contests during the 2011 season.
Cummings clocked 50.1 innings for the Tigers in 2011 and gave up just 30 earn runs in 15 appearances for Northeast.
In his 50-plus innings for Kent Farris’ club, Cummings struck out 41 against just 27 walks and was fourth on the team in strikeouts per inning with .815 strikeouts per frame.
In his freshman year, Cummings had a .867 fielding percentage for the Tigers, who went 22-20 overall and finished the competitive North Division at a break-even 12-12.
While at Myrtle High School, Cummings played under former Tiger baseball standout Robert Gordon and was a dual sport standout excelling not only on the diamond but also on the hardwood for the Hawks as well. In his junior year, Cummings batted .411 and increased his batting average by nearly 70 points in his final year with the Hawks.
When not on the mound for Myrtle, Cummings, who also played outfield, found time to be part of the Cotton States Baseball League in New Albany as well as the Mississippi Select Baseball League’s Northwest Mississippi Dealers.
Cummings and the rest of the Tiger baseball team will kick off their 2012 season when Northeast hosts Wallace State (Ala.)-Hanceville on Valentine’s Day (February 14) at Harold T. White Field in Booneville. First pitch is set for noon.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2