New Albany’s Alef signs with Northeast baseball
Northeast Mississippi Community College head baseball coach Kent Farris has announced that the Tigers have signed Riley Alef, a catcher from New Albany for the 2012-13 season.
Alef becomes the fifth signee of Farris’ 2012-13 class joining Lafayette County’s Luke Stanley, Corinth’s Lew Johnson and Kossuth’s David Gipson and Heath Wood.
Alef helped lead the John Walker’s New Albany Bulldog baseball team to a second round appearance in the Mississippi High School Activities Association’s Class 4A state baseball playoffs during his junior year.
Last year, Alef and New Albany were able to sport a 22-12 overall record with a 7-3 mark in league play with Alef batting .389 with a .538 on base percentage and a .611 slugging percentage.
Alef was more than a threat at the plate for the Bulldogs. The New Albany athlete was also steady on the defensive side of the diamond sporting a .986 fielding percentage committing just four errors all year in 284 chances.
While behind the plate for New Albany, Alef only allowed three passed balls during his 34-game junior campaign.
During his junior year, Alef scored 10 runs while batting in 29 more with nine doubles and four homeruns.
When not behind the plate for New Albany, Alef also clocked time at the hot corner (third base) and on the mound for the Bulldogs where he struck out three in his only appearance of the year against Lafayette County.
When not on the diamond, Alef also saw time on both sides of the ball for Ron Price’s New Albany Bulldog football team.
During the 2011 season, Alef hauled in 29 catches for 351 yards as a tight end and recorded 185 stops (107 solo and 78 assists) from his linebacker spot on the defense.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...