Fernandez scores winner for New Albany
The Bulldogs have achieved success so far this season, and coach Edgar Capaning hopes to see that continue as his team goes further in division play.
Last Thursday, New Albany picked up a 2-1 win over Oxford, taking the game on a late goal by Gabriel Fernandez. The contest was tied at the break with Armando Rojas scoring for the Bulldogs, and the win improves the ‘Dawgs to 6-1-1 on the year.
New Albany was to play a division match against Corinth last Friday, but field conditions postponed the game until January. The Bulldogs have its lone division match, and despite injuries on the team, particularly Edgar Fernandez, who tore his ACL, Capaning hopes to see success in the coming weeks.
“We’re keeping our heads up, and obviously our primary concern is Edgar, and we’re thinking of him,” Capaning said. “It’s frustrating to have a good lineup and work well in practice to see that interrupted with injuries.”
Capaning said his priority in practice now is working around his lineup, making adjustments, as the ‘Dawgs look for a successful division campaign.
“We have the injury issue as well as some other problems,” he explained. “The future might be bleak, but we’re trying to get a grip on the situation.”
“Our focus remains on making it to Jackson. We’re working more on adjustment workouts and trying to hold on to the success we’ve had so far this year and doing the best with what we have.”
Oxford 2 New Albany 0 (girls)
The Lady Bulldogs fell in a tough match to Oxford, with the Lady Chargers dominating possession throughout the game and connecting on two clutch goals.
Oxford scored in the 27th and 58th minutes of the match and out shot the Lady Bulldogs, 28-6, in the win.
New Albany has two games scheduled for next week, hosting South Pontotoc on Thursday, Dec. 29 and traveling for a match against Oxford on Friday, Dec. 30.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...