Doing right things right
Our community breathed a collective sigh of relief this week with news that a New Albany man has been charged with capital murder in the shooting death of Amanda Price.
The killing, and the wounding of her husband, New Albany football coach Ron Price, were described by Police Chief David Grisham as a random act of violence.
It must be some relief to the Price family to know that someone is behind bars and the family was not being targeted. However, there is much grieving to be done as Coach Price goes about the job of carrying on his life and raising a three-year-old child without her mother.
So far the community has done all the right things. A reward fund that has grown to nearly $25,000 was created. A college fund for the child has been established.
And our police department has worked tirelessly, with some help from the state highway patrol and the county sheriff’s department, to track down leads in the case. Everyone connected to this effort should be congratulated.
As we understand it, the existence of a reward may have played some role in the case. If that turns out to be true, at least some part of the reward should be paid even though the informant may not be a model citizen. They seldom are.
After that is resolved, we would hope that donors would agree to forwarding the remainder to the Molly Addison Price Scholarship Fund at Renasant Bank, 300 East Bankhead St.
And we hope you will add to the fund with your contribution.
We’re a community that takes care of its own, and we’re continuing to demonstrate that.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...