No place like home
Myrtle defended its home court on homecoming, earning a sweep over East Union on Saturday.
Robert Montgomery led the Hawks with 29 points in its 95-69 win, but it was the three-point shooting of Cruz Weatherall that helped Myrtle pull away in the final quarter.
Ahead 61-50 going into the fourth, the senior hit five triples in the frame, finishing with 23 points and connecting on 7-of-13 three-pointers, all in the second half.
As a team, the Hawks shot 55 percent from three-point range, making 16 in the game, and the defense held one of the Urchins’ leading scorers, Chris Tables, to only eight points.
Trey Barkley led the Urchins with six points in the first quarter, keeping East Union within single digits after the first quarter, 20-11. Tables cut the deficit to three, 28-25, preceding a 9-0 run by the Hawks.
Robert Montgomery scored 13 of his 29 points in the second quarter, connecting on 7-of-9 free throws.
Barkley led East Union with 22 points, and Keon Hampton scored 18 for the Hawks, who improve to 7-4 on the year, 4-1 at home.
The Urchins fall to 7-4 on the year, but won its homecoming match-up on Friday, 82-49, over Kossuth.
Tables hit six three-pointers, leading the Urchins with 24 points, while Barkley scored 18 points and D.J. Armstrong finished in double figures with 10 points.
Myrtle 62 East Union 22 (girls)
Aspriona Gilbert scored 27 points, as the Lady Hawks remain unbeaten on the season, defeating East Union by 40.
The senior scored 17 of Myrtle’s 35 first quarter points, and the defense held East Union to only three points in the frame off a triple by Ashley Leach.
Kiana Judon finished with nine points, making three triples for the Lady Hawks (11-0). Leach and Jade Anderson each scored eight points to lead East Union.
The Lady Urchins fell to Kossuth, 62-31, on Friday.
Myrtle played Hickory Flat and Mooreville earlier this week and will host New Albany on Friday.
East Union played at Walnut on Tuesday and will host Baldwyn on Friday.
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Chism wins UBBI scholarship May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...