Caring for the ill
The Union County Board of Supervisors is grappling with what to do about housing mental patients awaiting a place in the state hospital.
Currently they are transported to the Union County Jail, which was not designed and is not adequately staffed to deal with the mentally ill. In short, the current practice is a problem waiting to be a bigger problem.
The Mississippi Legislature is requiring that county holding facilities become certified with the state Department of Mental Health. To become certified would require significant cost and ongoing staffing expense.
And it still would not be an ideal place to park the mentally ill while they work their way up the waiting list for a state hospital bed.
The committal process to get a person into the system also is time consuming, both for the county sheriff’s department and the Union County chancery clerk’s office.
That’s why we think the county should go along with a proposal from the Region IV Mental Health Center in Tupelo to handle all the mental commitment for Union County. The mental health center already has two group homes with 18 beds in Tupelo that meet state standards.
The cost to Union County would be $44,460 a year, which is much lower than the projected cost of fixing and staffing the Union County Jail.
Nine other counties in north Mississippi already have signed up. We think it is a good plan that puts the handling of the mentally ill in the hands of people trained to do that sort of work. Union County should join up.
About Chris Elkins
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Taylor to continue softball career at Delta State May 5, 2016
- Area athletes advance to state finals in track May 5, 2016
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault May 5, 2016
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures May 5, 2016
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas May 5, 2016
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7 May 5, 2016
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6 May 5, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6