Heralding a new day
The wait is over and Corollas are rolling off the assembly line at Union County’s Toyota’s manufacturing plant.
What a few skeptics had predicted would never happen has. For the rest of us who believed from Feb. 27, 2007, the day of the first announcement, it was an exciting and hoopla filled day Thursday as Toyota held its official “line-off” ceremony.
In reality, the plant already has been building cars since October, a fact evident from a lot filled with new Corollas awaiting shipment. But that didn’t matter on a day filled with smiles, speeches and general good will.
Gov. Haley Barbour was on hand with local officials from the three counties – Pontotoc, Union and Lee — that make up the PUL Alliance, the group that put together the site where the plant now sits in Blue Springs.
About 1,300 people already are working at the Toyota plant and hundreds of others already are employed at various parts supplier plants in northeast Mississippi.
On Friday, the governor was scheduled to make stops at parts supplier plants, including a noon visit at Diversity-Vuteq, the large plant now open on Highway 30 West in New Albany.
The festivities, on this week before Thanksgiving, serve as a reminder of the wonderful things that can happen when our community moves forward together, taking bold and progressive steps for a brighter tomorrow.
It’s a new day in Union County.
About Chris Elkins
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Taylor to continue softball career at Delta State May 5, 2016
- Area athletes advance to state finals in track May 5, 2016
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault May 5, 2016
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures May 5, 2016
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas May 5, 2016
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7 May 5, 2016
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6 May 5, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6