New Albany will join 40 other Mississippi cities and towns Dec. 2 when a smoke-free workplace ordinance goes into effect.
The Board of Aldermen adopted the ordinance unanimously Monday after a public hearing generated no comments from the public. We were a little surprised that no one spoke out against it; perhaps it shows the education campaign about the problems with second-hand smoke is working.
In any case, the ordinance, which was put forward by Alderman Johnny Anderson, bans smoking in indoor work sites and in places where the public is invited. It also bans smoking on city-owned property. Exceptions include designated smoking rooms in hotels and private residence not used for child care, adult day care or health care services.
Individuals can be fined $50 for a first offense and $250 for each subsequent offense. Fines for business are $100 for a first offense, $200 for a second offense and $500 as well as revocation of a business license for a third offense.
In passing the ordinance, the board recognized that Mississippians overwhelmingly support smoke-free workplaces. That is especially true in restaurants, where even a majority of smokers supported a ban.
We think the board has taken a strong step toward improving our community and its health with this ordinance. We applaud the aldermen for it.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...