Blue Springs discusses zoning
Zoning was the topic of conversation at a recent group session of the Blue Springs Aldermen. The aldermen met with Mike Slaughter, urban planning consultant for Oxford-based Slaughter and Associates.
Slaughter and Associates put together a comprehensive plan for Blue Springs and the plan includes suggestions for zoning, ordinances, subdivision regulations, future land use, and more. The plan is a guide for a community, village, town, city, county, or state to go by in determining steps to make in the future.
Pending final approval from the Department of Justice, Blue Springs has been annexed from a village to a town, with an increased population of over 461 residents from approximately 228 residents.
Slaughter came to talk to the board about steps that need to be taken in regards to zoning.
He said, “I am very excited to get this annexation taken care of. It opens a lot of opportunities for the future. The annexation is final according to Mississippi laws, but we are still awaiting final clearance from the Department of Justice.”
Slaughter explained to the board that before there is zoning in the annexed area, a public hearing will need to be held in which residents can come and voice their opinions as well as ask questions. In addition, zoning ordinances will have to be updated.
“I think Blue Springs needs to update the zoning map as soon as possible,” said Slaughter.
He showed the mayor, city clerk, and board members different maps, including the future land use map, which Slaughter said is the basis for the zoning.
“We have to go through the legal process of updating the zoning map, have a public hearing, and adopt it,” said Slaughter.
The board said that they think they should also be aware of any Toyota Memorandum Of Understanding restrictions and the mayor agreed to get a copy of the Toyota MOU and find out what those restrictions are.
Slaughter told the board that if ordinances are passed, there needs to be some kind of way of enforcing these ordinances. He suggested that a zoning and planning commission be set up in Blue Springs.
Nothing was decided on at this discussion. The next regularly scheduled board meeting will take place at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2011 at Blue Springs City Hall.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2