Kennamore charged in drug sting
Former New Albany alderman Jerry W. Kennamore was arrested Monday afternoon, following a grand jury indictment for allegedly selling the narcotic pain reliever OxyContin.
Kennamore, 61, of 204 Jefferson St., was officially charged with two counts of the sale of the Schedule II substance at 12:42 p.m. Monday.
According to New Albany Police Chief David Grisham, Kennamore had gotten caught up in an undercover drug operation conducted by the police department over several months.
“He was caught selling drugs to an undercover officer,” Grisham said. “He’s one of several individuals that we’ve arrested as part of the operation.
Grisham said that Union County’s Grand Jury met last week and handed down several indictments, including one for Kennamore.
“We’ve been serving them this week and we served his yesterday,” Grisham said.
Grisham said that Kennamore’s bond was set at $25,000 per count, or a total of $50,000. Kennamore has been released on bond.
“He will await arraignment in the next term of Circuit Court,” Grisham said.
A native of Middleton, Kennamore served as New Albany’s Ward Two Alderman from 1989 to 1993 and as Ward Four Alderman from 1997 to 2001, reportedly making him the city’s only alderman to be elected from two different wards. He also ran for the office of mayor in 2001, 2005 and 2009. During his terms as alderman, Kennamore served as a member of the Main Street Association and Tourism Council.
In 2009, Kennamore pleaded guilty to one count of forgery, for allegedly writing his daughter’s name as an attesting witness on an absentee ballot. He was serving a 10-year suspended sentence for the conviction and was told he could never run for office again.
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Chism wins UBBI scholarship May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...