Union County picks up first win on senior night
On a very chilly September night, things warmed up for the Union County football team on senior night. UC jumped out to a 28-0 lead behind three touchdown runs and a 55-yard touchdown pass en route to their 56-12 win at BNA Bank Park.
Down 28-0, Benton County managed one touchdown late in the first half, before Broderick Montgomery added a 25-yard touchdown for UC, giving them a 36-6 halftime lead.
Montgomery had three rushing touchdowns and 2.5 sacks in the first half alone and drew praise from his head coach Scott Duley.
“He's a great football player. Broderick had an excellent game, and our game plan on defense was to put him in position to make those plays,” Duley said.
This was the first varsity win for Union County, and it came in spectacular fashion as they amassed six rushing touchdowns, one passing, as well as a fumble recovery that was returned for a score.
UC kept the Buccaneers at bay all night long, preventing them from getting any sort of running game going, as well as holding the first year program to only two touchdowns. The offensive line was much improved tonight as they continue to gel together and gain experience, and Union County's focus next week in practice will be to work on catching the ball and developing better timing to open up the passing game as they will prepare for the next road game at New Site next Friday night.
-Story by Michael Quirk
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...