West Union ends season with home loss to East Union
East Union is using this week to prepare for their playoff run, handing West Union a season ending 11-6 loss on Tuesday.
“I told the kids that a week from today we're playing South Delta, first round of the playoffs, what's the importance of this game?,” coach Josh Blythe said. “Every pitch, every hit, every base we run, it will give us playoff experience and we need to play like it's playoff day. Unfortunately, we didn't do that as well as I wanted to, but fortunately West Union gave us some of that back defensively.”
A three run first inning put the Lady Urchins ahead early, but West Union came back in the third, scoring four runs to take a 5-3 lead. Led by an RBI single from Brittany Prewett in the fourth, East Union regained the lead, scoring four runs, and Tianna Castillo added a two-run double in the fifth. West Union scored one more run in the fifth, and had four players with multiple hits (Gina Beth Conlee, Bailey Bogue, Hannah McQuary and Brittany Taylor).
“Hats off to West Union, I thought they hit the ball tons better than they did the first time we saw them,” Blythe said. “They have a great program, and that's what I told my kids, are you happy with 17 wins on the year, because if you are, that's all you'll get.”
Correcting mental errors is what Blythe hopes to work on with his team, as they will close out the regular season at Falkner on Thursday.
“We've got to get better mentally, and that's what's killing us right now,” he said. “Physical ability, we can play, mental stuff is wearing us off. Until we break that hump, that's the key for us.”
Five Lady Urchins had multiple hits (Mallory Roberts, Prewett, Rachel Elder, Castillo and Rebecca Sheffield), and East Union looks ahead to their first round playoff opponent, South Delta.
“I know they're undefeated and I know that they're very athletic and it's a different atmosphere down there,” Blythe said. “They love to play, and they even play summer league slow pitch since they don't play fast pitch in the spring, so they love it.”
East Union will play the entire first round series at South Delta, beginning at 1 p.m. next Tuesday, Oct. 4.
About Chris Elkins
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Taylor to continue softball career at Delta State May 5, 2016
- Area athletes advance to state finals in track May 5, 2016
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault May 5, 2016
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures May 5, 2016
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas May 5, 2016
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7 May 5, 2016
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6 May 5, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6