NA increases tourism tax spending
With an expected increase of $25,000 in tourism revenue, the New Albany Board of Aldermen recently released its designations of $550,000 tourism monies toward several local projects.
The most noticeable change over last year’s budget is the board’s decision to give $88,000 to the Union County Development Association, as opposed to $6,000 in the 2010-2011 budget. The board determined that $36,000 will go toward the UCDA’s promotions, $5,000 will go toward the Freedom Celebration and $30,000 will go toward the Tallahatchie RiverFest. The city also pays $16,000 as one half of the tourism salaries and $1,000 to the Christmas parade.
The city will also give $96,225 to the Union County Heritage Museum for its operations, $42,000 to the New Albany Main Street for operations and the Keep New Albany Beautiful project, $2,500 to the Tallahatchie Arts Council for the annual Tupelo Symphony Orchestra concert, $83,640 to the Cine for operational costs and $88,866 to the City Beautification committee for landscape maintenance and other beautification projects.
The board did decline to grant $20,000 to the community group, CUSWIM, for a feasibility study for an aquatics facility.
The city also uses the funds to pay current notes, such as $98,000 for the Freedom Park, $14,000 for Tanglefoot Trail millage and $30,098 for the Sportsplex sign.
About Chris Elkins
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 4, 2016
- Being a mother is the best May 4, 2016
- Graduation rates looking up May 4, 2016
- Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- Deputies receive training in emergency control of trauma bleeding May 4, 2016
- Plenty to do this weekend May 4, 2016
- Herman J. Maxey May 4, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...