NA increases tourism tax spending
With an expected increase of $25,000 in tourism revenue, the New Albany Board of Aldermen recently released its designations of $550,000 tourism monies toward several local projects.
The most noticeable change over last year’s budget is the board’s decision to give $88,000 to the Union County Development Association, as opposed to $6,000 in the 2010-2011 budget. The board determined that $36,000 will go toward the UCDA’s promotions, $5,000 will go toward the Freedom Celebration and $30,000 will go toward the Tallahatchie RiverFest. The city also pays $16,000 as one half of the tourism salaries and $1,000 to the Christmas parade.
The city will also give $96,225 to the Union County Heritage Museum for its operations, $42,000 to the New Albany Main Street for operations and the Keep New Albany Beautiful project, $2,500 to the Tallahatchie Arts Council for the annual Tupelo Symphony Orchestra concert, $83,640 to the Cine for operational costs and $88,866 to the City Beautification committee for landscape maintenance and other beautification projects.
The board did decline to grant $20,000 to the community group, CUSWIM, for a feasibility study for an aquatics facility.
The city also uses the funds to pay current notes, such as $98,000 for the Freedom Park, $14,000 for Tanglefoot Trail millage and $30,098 for the Sportsplex sign.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...