Union County drops road game at Mantachie
Union County faced a tough challenge on Friday, falling 31-6 at Mantachie.
The game started off with a quick possession by Union County that ended with a punt to Mantachie. The Mustangs promptly drove down the field and scored their first touchdown to take the early lead.
A fumble on the ensuing kickoff gave the ball back to the Mustangs, and they took advantage of the short field and put in another rushing attempt for a touchdown.
Union County recorded its lone score on its second drive, aided by a long rush by D.J. Armstrong.
The momentum for UC was short lived as the Mustangs scored 17 unanswered points to close out the game. The 31-6 final did not do the UC defense justice as they played well consistently on first and second down only to be unhinged by an untimely big play by the Mustangs. Head coach Scott Duley was very proud and optimistic about his defense.
“I've never seen a defense improve from one week to another as ours did tonight.” he said.
Duley also noted that his team will spend a lot of time this week focusing on the offensive line which will spring their rushing attack.
Broderick Montgomery led the offense with 56 rushing yards on 15 attempts, followed by Gradon Pannell with 39 yards on eight attempts.
Defensively, Trey Barkley had nine tackles, while Grant Keller had six and Blake Spruill five tackles.
Union County will face off against Ripley next Friday, Sept.16.
-Story by Michael Quirk
About Chris Elkins
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer