Tough road tests await UC
Hitting the field once more after a close loss to Biggersville last week, Union County prepares for a three-game road slate, beginning with Mantachie on Friday.
“They’re a little sluggish, which is to be expected, but being a very young program, it’s my job that we have to get past that and move on to the next week’s opponent,” UC coach Scott Duley said.
“We can’t have a hangover because we either won or lost a close game, you have to always be looking ahead to your next opponent and preparing for them like you did your previous opponent.”
The next two weeks will be among the toughest for Duley’s squad, facing the Mustangs, followed by a Sept. 16 match-up with Ripley.
“Mantachie is very strong. They have some strong young men, their line and their running backs.
Duley said. “They run a single wing offense, and they both run and pass the ball well. On defense, they’re very solid and know their responsibilities. I believe we can move the ball, but we have to be consistent, and we improved tremendously from our first game to our second, but we need to tackle well.”
Duley had the opportunity to scout Ripley in their season opener against New Albany, and Duley hopes to emphasize the fundamentals in preparation for that game.
“We’re going to have to do the little things well, our fundamentals are going to have to be sharp, so we’ll practice as much as possible on those fundamentals and be prepared for both of these opponents,” he said.
Mantachie (1-2) is coming off a 69-12 win over New Site. Friday night’s game is set for a 7:30 kickoff.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...