Heritage Pioneer Days
The Heritage Pioneer Days, a major event in town for school classes and families with young children, will celebrate its 10th anniversary this year by expanding to three days, from two.
It was 10 years ago that Jill Smith, director of the Union County Heritage Museum, decided to demonstrate the life of early pioneers with demonstrations and hands-on activities.
More than 1,000 children in school classes are expected next Thursday and Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. to take part in a variety of activities at the museum. On Saturday, Sept. 17, the public is invited to attend from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. The activities take place at the museum on Cleveland Street.
Hands-on activities range from shucking corn to cross-cut sawing, from milking a cow to folk music and from herbal medicine to starting fires by rubbing two stickers together.
Other activities abound including demonstrations of churning butter, baling hay with a mule, building a log cabin, basket weaving, quilting and rope making.
A special feature added this year is an appearance by llamas from the farm of Mr. and Mrs. Nathan Shaddinger on Martintown Road in New Albany. The llamas are representative of the animals that helped with various types of work in pioneer culture. Llamas were once native to Peru.
Heritage Pioneer Days has become one of the area’s most popular family activities. Its growth parallels that of the museum, which is in its 20th anniversary year.
Check out Heritage Pioneer Days next week.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...