Heritage Pioneer Days
The Heritage Pioneer Days, a major event in town for school classes and families with young children, will celebrate its 10th anniversary this year by expanding to three days, from two.
It was 10 years ago that Jill Smith, director of the Union County Heritage Museum, decided to demonstrate the life of early pioneers with demonstrations and hands-on activities.
More than 1,000 children in school classes are expected next Thursday and Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. to take part in a variety of activities at the museum. On Saturday, Sept. 17, the public is invited to attend from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. The activities take place at the museum on Cleveland Street.
Hands-on activities range from shucking corn to cross-cut sawing, from milking a cow to folk music and from herbal medicine to starting fires by rubbing two stickers together.
Other activities abound including demonstrations of churning butter, baling hay with a mule, building a log cabin, basket weaving, quilting and rope making.
A special feature added this year is an appearance by llamas from the farm of Mr. and Mrs. Nathan Shaddinger on Martintown Road in New Albany. The llamas are representative of the animals that helped with various types of work in pioneer culture. Llamas were once native to Peru.
Heritage Pioneer Days has become one of the area’s most popular family activities. Its growth parallels that of the museum, which is in its 20th anniversary year.
Check out Heritage Pioneer Days next week.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...