Events that boost area
Two recent events in New Albany struck us as the kind of activities we could use more of in our community.
The first was the Arts, Beats and Eats event held in the meeting hall at In Bloom. It was an evening of good food supplied by our town’s community-spirited eateries, combined with displays by some of our better local artists and music by Jason Wilbanks and his group.
What a nice time! More than 80 people turned out for the gathering sponsored by the New Albany Main Street Association. It’s a tribute to Vickie Duke, Main Street manager, who agreed to give the event a try, and Mary Jennifer Russell, owner of Sugaree’s, who suggested the idea.
The second was the Business After Hours open house and reception at the Holiday Inn Express. Local business people were on hand for good food, beer, soft drinks and conversation with Sunny Sethi, whose family owns the hotel, and national and regional Holiday Inn executives. (The only glitch was the absence of our area state, county and city elected officials. What were they thinking?)
We need more of these kinds of events.
Lots of communities have monthly Business After Hours and arts-oriented events. Usually they last a couple of hours and are organized by the chamber of commerce or other business group. Typically, businesses sign up to host and help pay for finger foods, soft drinks and beer or wine. Often, there is music and a small admission fee.
We think New Albany could sustain a monthly event. Because we do not have a chamber, we think some of our progressive merchants and businesses should lead the way.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...